Skip to main content

Legacy

Dear D-Poo,
I hope when you get older and if this blog still exists, you will read this post... It's stuff I want to tell you but somehow never seem to... in the midst of the daily routine, I sometimes forget that what you are today you will never be again. And the moment will be gone forever. So before I forget I want to tell you stuff that I should have told you and may never do...Here goes:
1) I love you: I thought about saying this at the end.. what the heck I might again!! Not just "Good morning, love you so-you- can-go-to-school" Or the "love you" said in absent-minded response. But the "I love you" I feel when I see you stretched out next to me on the bed.. snoring ever so slightly. The I love you I feel when you come to me and give me a hug and say "amma, I love you forever."
2) Remember to believe the best in everyone: There will be times when people try to crush your spirit or cloud your perceptions (including thoughtless parents). But never mind them. For remember what I told you"everyone in the world is good. Only very few people are truly bad." I hope it will help you be a better person than me.
3) Hold a squirming earthworm in your hand: It feels well "eewww" in your language. But it teaches you to be gentle for otherwise that little worm might get crushed... Also its just cool!
4) Splash in every puddle you find: Ignore annoyed mothers and go ahead and splash! Catch the rainbow in the oil that pools on the surface. When you start searching for the pot of gold at the end the rainbow can get left behind!
5) Believe in fairy tales. You never know when a frog might turn out to be a prince... or that pumpkin into a porsche (more fun than the prince!!!)...
6) Lick your plate/bowl clean. For that last bit of ice cream or the last taste of thairu saadam with all the flavours of previous courses is truly heaven on earth.
7) Dance naked in front of mirrors for as long as you can... for clothes will be put on you fast enough!!!
8) Peel a grape before you eat the flesh ... it's fun and yummy and grosses everyone out!!!
9) Learn an art.. something you love ... that makes you whole... for that which you enjoy no one can take away from you...
10) Remember: cream biscuits (yes biscuits not cookies) should be split whole, the opposing side without cream should be eaten first so you can lick the cream in peace!!! Mmmmmmmmmmm
11) Never let siblings get away with more than exactly half (except money, which is eminently give-away-able!!!).
12) Remember to slurp while eating a mango (especially along the seed)... The juice will drip down your arm and taste the better for the salt from your arms!!!
13) When you walk down a dark path look up at the stars... you will never be afraid in the presence of their beauty.
14) Listen to the waves at the beach. If you pay attention, they'll tell you a story of far off lands and new people (and sometime monsters).
15) Above all, tolerate your parents as you get older. For their eccentricities will become your habits when you become a parent yourself.
Finally, I love you. For being a sweet, adorable, annoying, whining, crying, laughing, singing, dancing, bratty, tantrum-throwing, nonsense-song singing, bane-of-my-existence, joy-of-my-life, worry-of-my-future, massaging-my-feet, monster-like angel child. I hope you understand.

Love,
Amma

Comments

Inkk said…
HumVee,

Best ever.

No words will suffice ..so not saying any.

V inspired now to do the painting anyways, based on the image of D Pooh in my mind (which btw, is of a sweet little girl wearing a pretty white cotton frock with red piping and hair tied up in coconut tree style. Also, she is very chatty and keeps falling for some reason :))

Ink
The Wag said…
Ink,
the photo is for you... keep reading... by the ways, what's anonymous blog about? Actual musings?

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

So D-Poo has started at another daycare... all supposed pluses... at the university with hopefully like-minded people...very close to me... dubious advantage, I get to do drop-off and pick-up.. but on the other hand it may build closeness...or else I will damage her psyche forever by throwing out her favourite very annoying CD from the car...She's been very happy though and considerably less dirty at the end of the day which leaves me wondering why I didn't move her sooner... The visit to India of course has passed from her mind except for some ladder-climbing incidents and other random recollections of P-Boy cousin. But some effects we still fondly hope are true and long-lasting... like her attempts to insert more Tamil words into her vocabulary (she mostly sounds like a echo whe we speak but I'll take anything)...I fancy that her tolerance of spicy food has increased (false but I'm a deluded mom...gimme a break here...)...She still has no concept of tradition as I wou

To work or not to work

Well this blog is developing as a "mommy" blog as a certain reader commented and somehow I am not able to stem the flow... It's just easy to write about stuff that occupies your mind everyday than to worry about Lebanon (Altho' I have to admit, I am particularly touched by this conflict given that Mid Eastern conflicts have been going on for the best part of my lifetime...) I was reading a blog entry by Rashmi Bansal (Yes sissy, I use sites you've listed and like most of them)... Made for interesting reading on the matrimonial ads in newspapers...Now I have long perused these very ads and found them in varying degrees funny, tolerable and downright abominable...I read her rather funny account of all the various types of women listed by type and degree of wanting to work after marriage... Unfortunately there isn't any real manual to predict what we're going to be in life and the baby curveball is truly something unexpected. Me for example: Those who knew me

Get off my breast!!

No, it isn't a continuation of the theme that darling Sissy started ... it's just a response to an article I read on CNN... and ad nauseam on every parenting site, health site, news site, TV ... the list goes on. The current objects of my fury are called apparently "lactivists"... an "empowering" term for annoying people who like to shove their superiority as breast-feeding mothers in everyone's face!!! No, I'm all for it... if you can do it go for it... it's functional, free and most sanitary and billions of people have flourished doing the thing... most intelligent cultures (which automatically excludes all white, caucasian cultures) have recognized this for eons and it's just fine. These sensible cultures aso have had the benefit of being poor and recognize that a full belly is the prerequisite and not what an aging hyper protective mother thinks is a baby's birthright!!!! So what evolved was a commonsense approach to feeding a child..