Skip to main content

The people definer

Random Thoughts
I decided, on a whim, to take a career assessment test. I sat through about 20 minutes of random questions at the end of which the computer screen would exactly determine what type of person I was, what my skills were, what my strengths were (and therefore presumably my weaknesses), and what sort of job would best suit my temperament (top 20 it said). Of course, the test was free online. But not so the assessment (obviously). What I got was a long page with little tidbits (H is great; she'd make a fine manager, wonderful writer, excellent performance artist and homemaker and etc) interlaced with long paragraphs of blanks... to be filled in when you paid up for the executive package or some such thing. Every description was designed to set off alarm bells in your mind about your general capabilities unless of course you actually ponied up the money to be reassured you weren't a flaming failure in the blanked out parts!!!
So here are my edited "results": I possessed an above par "holistic" sense of concepts. Holistic being a word that was peppered everywhere in descriptions of my ability to interact with people ( I don't pay enough attention to individuals), interpret data (were they saying I am not thorough enough?), communication skills (do I mumble THAT much?), and managerial skills (Oh my God, I knew it! I'm bossy!). I am hooked by this time... I like the flattering parts and am dismayed by the bits that read "H has a holistic appreciation for everything in the world. But that does not ....(blank)...." What were they going to say? That I secretly am a geeky, buck-toothed, psycho? That I ate grasshoppers at my last meal and likely would for my next? Or I am a hopeless deadender doomed to seeking my job forever and looking at character assessment profiles but never getting a real job (Yikes that one was too close for comfort!!!).
Finally, I scroll down impatiently to the bottom of the page. What exactly did they think I was going to be suitable for? Executive? Dishwasher? Footpath singer/dancer/entertainer? I so hoped it was option number 1.. sounds way more fun to be sitting in a cool office ordering other people around to do my work for me! Hah! there was the table to tell me what my future held in store for me... a personalized crystal ball to my successful future as...
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!! I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!! They blanked out the top 10 positions I would be fit for. The listing started at position 11 as editing some god forsaken thing that I forgot about as I was reading about it (doesn't augur too well for editorial positions I must say!) and continued to list singer/songwriter/entertainer as another possibility at about 13 or 15... I knew I was headed for the streets. But what was option 1? And 2 and all the way down to 10? Surely I could land one of those? If I knew what they were... How much does the professional package cost again?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

So D-Poo has started at another daycare... all supposed pluses... at the university with hopefully like-minded people...very close to me... dubious advantage, I get to do drop-off and pick-up.. but on the other hand it may build closeness...or else I will damage her psyche forever by throwing out her favourite very annoying CD from the car...She's been very happy though and considerably less dirty at the end of the day which leaves me wondering why I didn't move her sooner... The visit to India of course has passed from her mind except for some ladder-climbing incidents and other random recollections of P-Boy cousin. But some effects we still fondly hope are true and long-lasting... like her attempts to insert more Tamil words into her vocabulary (she mostly sounds like a echo whe we speak but I'll take anything)...I fancy that her tolerance of spicy food has increased (false but I'm a deluded mom...gimme a break here...)...She still has no concept of tradition as I wou

To work or not to work

Well this blog is developing as a "mommy" blog as a certain reader commented and somehow I am not able to stem the flow... It's just easy to write about stuff that occupies your mind everyday than to worry about Lebanon (Altho' I have to admit, I am particularly touched by this conflict given that Mid Eastern conflicts have been going on for the best part of my lifetime...) I was reading a blog entry by Rashmi Bansal (Yes sissy, I use sites you've listed and like most of them)... Made for interesting reading on the matrimonial ads in newspapers...Now I have long perused these very ads and found them in varying degrees funny, tolerable and downright abominable...I read her rather funny account of all the various types of women listed by type and degree of wanting to work after marriage... Unfortunately there isn't any real manual to predict what we're going to be in life and the baby curveball is truly something unexpected. Me for example: Those who knew me

Get off my breast!!

No, it isn't a continuation of the theme that darling Sissy started ... it's just a response to an article I read on CNN... and ad nauseam on every parenting site, health site, news site, TV ... the list goes on. The current objects of my fury are called apparently "lactivists"... an "empowering" term for annoying people who like to shove their superiority as breast-feeding mothers in everyone's face!!! No, I'm all for it... if you can do it go for it... it's functional, free and most sanitary and billions of people have flourished doing the thing... most intelligent cultures (which automatically excludes all white, caucasian cultures) have recognized this for eons and it's just fine. These sensible cultures aso have had the benefit of being poor and recognize that a full belly is the prerequisite and not what an aging hyper protective mother thinks is a baby's birthright!!!! So what evolved was a commonsense approach to feeding a child..