Skip to main content

The tale of the Lady's Fingers!

So another day comes to an end...but am feeling rather euphoric today...crazy kickass workout session tends to do that after fat ass lazy weekend. Today was a happy memory lane kind of day too...so here's what happened...
Once upon a time three FOBs (to paraphrase my email to other concerned parties...and FOB is fresh off the boat for those STILL not in the know) in PA, USA somewhere were enjoying frozen and thawed tiramisu...as general reading material, we turned the box around to find the ingredients only to discover an astonishing truth..tiramisu contains lady's finger.
Now, we were pretty savvy FOBs mind you. We knew of okra and eggplant and wrenches and the lack of fortnights in the land of the brave and free...but here was truly proof on printed packaging that lady's finger was known (we did ponder why they hadn't written okra but didn't waste too much time on that lead)...but how had they managed to disguise the sliminess and strong flavour of okra/bhindi/LF? Ah well, will wonders never cease, we thought, and put away that piece of trivia for later...

Fast forward a year or so...zoom into a lonely lab office and witness a grad student from India trying to make sense of what a grad student visiting from Slovakia was trying to say... "have you ever eaten okra? It's quite slimy..yada yada yada... and I've never had this weird veggie before... blah blah blah..." mostly polite disinterest...

I beg you will stay with me and watch for another short fast forward a couple of weeks... said graduate students are found in same situations... until I hear the words "tiramisu recipe"...
And so of course I beg to know since I love the dessert with the craving of the newly initiated...and so the list of ingredients begins until she says...ta-dah you guessed it...lady's fingers...
I pounced on it of course..."how come you said you had never seen okra just two weeks ago and now you have an authentic recipe for tiramisu where it's the major ingredient?" Her face ought to have been a dead giveaway..."what do you mean okra(spoken with sweet east european accent and shake of head)?" she says. "Well you know...lady's fingers...there's okra in your recipe..." After a bit of handwaving, poor sentence construction in English and much shaking of the head I figured out that lady's fingers were dainty pieces of pastry that one dunked into tiramisu and didn't grow on a plant in tropical countries!

After a lot of chagrined laughing at myself and few phone calls to the two other misguided souls (of whom I am discovering there were many) we of course went on to eat many a tiramisu..from that day on though every time I passed the baking aisle the lady's fingers were hanging in bags...just there to mock me..."go on they said" "pick us up. We're not slimy we're not"...It wouldn't have been nicer to show themselves a year earlier, would it?

But why the memory you ask? Why subject the world to a post about something so bizarre and mildly funny only to those involved...ah well...bear with me and fast forward a decade or so (ok so maybe longer)...
today's major news story in the journal of food science...
http://www.medindia.net/news/bhindi-can-make-your-ice-cream-last-longer-140338-1.htm

I KID YOU NOT!!! Journal of Food science..Not the Onion!!!
Now if it had been "bhindi makes tiramisu taste better" justice would've been served...cold, frozen and 15 years late!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

So D-Poo has started at another daycare... all supposed pluses... at the university with hopefully like-minded people...very close to me... dubious advantage, I get to do drop-off and pick-up.. but on the other hand it may build closeness...or else I will damage her psyche forever by throwing out her favourite very annoying CD from the car...She's been very happy though and considerably less dirty at the end of the day which leaves me wondering why I didn't move her sooner... The visit to India of course has passed from her mind except for some ladder-climbing incidents and other random recollections of P-Boy cousin. But some effects we still fondly hope are true and long-lasting... like her attempts to insert more Tamil words into her vocabulary (she mostly sounds like a echo whe we speak but I'll take anything)...I fancy that her tolerance of spicy food has increased (false but I'm a deluded mom...gimme a break here...)...She still has no concept of tradition as I wou

To work or not to work

Well this blog is developing as a "mommy" blog as a certain reader commented and somehow I am not able to stem the flow... It's just easy to write about stuff that occupies your mind everyday than to worry about Lebanon (Altho' I have to admit, I am particularly touched by this conflict given that Mid Eastern conflicts have been going on for the best part of my lifetime...) I was reading a blog entry by Rashmi Bansal (Yes sissy, I use sites you've listed and like most of them)... Made for interesting reading on the matrimonial ads in newspapers...Now I have long perused these very ads and found them in varying degrees funny, tolerable and downright abominable...I read her rather funny account of all the various types of women listed by type and degree of wanting to work after marriage... Unfortunately there isn't any real manual to predict what we're going to be in life and the baby curveball is truly something unexpected. Me for example: Those who knew me

Get off my breast!!

No, it isn't a continuation of the theme that darling Sissy started ... it's just a response to an article I read on CNN... and ad nauseam on every parenting site, health site, news site, TV ... the list goes on. The current objects of my fury are called apparently "lactivists"... an "empowering" term for annoying people who like to shove their superiority as breast-feeding mothers in everyone's face!!! No, I'm all for it... if you can do it go for it... it's functional, free and most sanitary and billions of people have flourished doing the thing... most intelligent cultures (which automatically excludes all white, caucasian cultures) have recognized this for eons and it's just fine. These sensible cultures aso have had the benefit of being poor and recognize that a full belly is the prerequisite and not what an aging hyper protective mother thinks is a baby's birthright!!!! So what evolved was a commonsense approach to feeding a child..