Skip to main content

I will not compare!

I have always been decidedly average. Above average in my doting parents' eyes... but average to the rest of the world. Which basically means I didn't fail any classes, kept my head above water and responded when my name was called. What it also meant was that I was always compared to my rather smarter sibling, supposedly smarter cousins and other random people as they showed up in my life by well (or not!) meaning friends and relatives. And now I have two of my own to nourish and nurture and make sure their fledgling emotions don't take the beating mine did while growing up. I therefore promise I will not:
1) Point out that one eats just five-times better than the other. For after all what does it matter? Maybe a few years of my life can be saved from being whiled away at a dinner table saying, "Eat!" in various threatening tones. Only to be met with boredom, smarminess or both. No! I will not compare...just be grateful for the one that DOES eat!
2) I will not wish that both would sleep the entire night through just so I can get my precious 8 hours. Be like her sister? No she need not!
3)I will resist the impulse to list the activities my child is great at...even if it is to myself! She could do Tchaikovsky without lessons you know...both piano and ballet!
4) I will resist the impulse to claim my daughters did quadratic equations at the age of 6 months and were attending school before they could say peekaboo!
5) I will try not to insist they learn Bharatanatyam just because I did...especially if they stink at it! Comparing myself to them? tch tch!
6) I will try not to look too closely at the brushwork and strokes of the painting prizewinner who was not my daughter! Of course I am still allowed to think the mother has connections!
7) I will resist the impulse to dress my daughters in identical clothes only to have random people comment how one colour suits one but not the other! Very damaging to little psyches!
8) I will not let people tell them it's not "cute" for girls to plays with trains, planes and automobiles.
9) I will not secretly wish they were "gifted" or were a secret genius. Above average is just fine by me.
10) I will never ever let them think they have let me down...not when they say "homeworks," not when they refuse say more than "bu" till 18 months and not when they don't know how to count properly without losing themselves or if they don't know ABC perfectly at the right age or if their cursive is nothing to speak of ...for like a certain dear person pointed out quite reasonably..have you ever met an adult who doesn't know their ABC? Or one whose handwriting matches the trace-over books?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

So D-Poo has started at another daycare... all supposed pluses... at the university with hopefully like-minded people...very close to me... dubious advantage, I get to do drop-off and pick-up.. but on the other hand it may build closeness...or else I will damage her psyche forever by throwing out her favourite very annoying CD from the car...She's been very happy though and considerably less dirty at the end of the day which leaves me wondering why I didn't move her sooner... The visit to India of course has passed from her mind except for some ladder-climbing incidents and other random recollections of P-Boy cousin. But some effects we still fondly hope are true and long-lasting... like her attempts to insert more Tamil words into her vocabulary (she mostly sounds like a echo whe we speak but I'll take anything)...I fancy that her tolerance of spicy food has increased (false but I'm a deluded mom...gimme a break here...)...She still has no concept of tradition as I wou

To work or not to work

Well this blog is developing as a "mommy" blog as a certain reader commented and somehow I am not able to stem the flow... It's just easy to write about stuff that occupies your mind everyday than to worry about Lebanon (Altho' I have to admit, I am particularly touched by this conflict given that Mid Eastern conflicts have been going on for the best part of my lifetime...) I was reading a blog entry by Rashmi Bansal (Yes sissy, I use sites you've listed and like most of them)... Made for interesting reading on the matrimonial ads in newspapers...Now I have long perused these very ads and found them in varying degrees funny, tolerable and downright abominable...I read her rather funny account of all the various types of women listed by type and degree of wanting to work after marriage... Unfortunately there isn't any real manual to predict what we're going to be in life and the baby curveball is truly something unexpected. Me for example: Those who knew me

Get off my breast!!

No, it isn't a continuation of the theme that darling Sissy started ... it's just a response to an article I read on CNN... and ad nauseam on every parenting site, health site, news site, TV ... the list goes on. The current objects of my fury are called apparently "lactivists"... an "empowering" term for annoying people who like to shove their superiority as breast-feeding mothers in everyone's face!!! No, I'm all for it... if you can do it go for it... it's functional, free and most sanitary and billions of people have flourished doing the thing... most intelligent cultures (which automatically excludes all white, caucasian cultures) have recognized this for eons and it's just fine. These sensible cultures aso have had the benefit of being poor and recognize that a full belly is the prerequisite and not what an aging hyper protective mother thinks is a baby's birthright!!!! So what evolved was a commonsense approach to feeding a child..