Skip to main content

Divine Intervention






The average Indian will know of the great "mundan/mottai" experience. Babies and children ranging in age from 6 monnths to about 8 years or so with variously shaved heads. Sometimes found chanting the name of the Lord as they trudge up (or down) from Tirupathi or whereever else their family decreed they lose their pride. And then the tradition aspect: with each family having a personal favorite deity and a defined number of mottais one was supposed to have. And then of course another tradition: do we inflict this only on the boys or does equality mean girls participate too? And will there be divine repurcussions if one breaks with the tradition (stupid question that one: Of course! Duh!!). And so we marched into the 21st century, armed with a socially acceptable explanation to salvage our conscience for carrying on a silly tradition: If you shave off the baby hair you get more even growth and get rid of any defects (actual and supposed) in hairline and baldspots on the crown of one's head. Ah! At last a sensible explanation as to why the elders started the practice!
After the above para most readers (3!!!) may be forgiven for thinking I was going to break the mould... Ha!!! Witness the latest victim to what a conservative, traditional upbringing can do to a normally rational human being.... What?, you say? Expliquez, s'il vous plait? Sure, here goes:
D-Poo, the poor unsuspecting victim of this tragedy was slow to start talking. I, being rather naive, had assumed my daughter would start rattling off 6-syllable words and be compeltely understandable when she hit this milestone. But she wasn't. She babbled and grunted and said gibberish for about 4 months after her 1st birthday. Being said idiot, I assumed the worst: speech delay maybe? Would I need a therapist? And other assorted foolishness associated with first time parents. But this is hindsight with its amazing clarity. While going thru said throes and pangs, in a moment of weakness, I had a flash: Maybe this was how the family deity on my hubby's side was taking me to task (well, I need to spread the blame, don't I?) This vaitheeswara deity is a form of Shiva who came down as a doctor, in lore, and thus is the principal deity of hubby's side of the family. All the kids get mottais done as a matter of course. Until D-Poo! We had struck a compromise with atheist father and God that we would just give the hair from her first haircut as a mark of respect (we really have to come up with better gifts to the gods... no wonder they keep us on short leashes!!!). Those who knew the squawling new born will agree there was a fair amount of generosity going on there. But maybe that wasn't enough... Add to the mumbling gibbberish part, she kept falling ill (first exposure to daycare says amazingly clear hindsight) and I felt obliged to make the worst kind of promise: On behalf of someone else!!! And this was the deal I struck with God...let her start speaking I said and make her all better (3am and a child with an ear infection!!! Gimme a break too, will ya?) and we can see about that mottai.
And of course she's talking... won't stop sometimes even though I beg her to. And screams and sings and yells... well maybe we can deal with that in another post...Point being I was stuck... deals with God are rather immutable in my mind and sort of irrevocable... but when do I break the news to hubby and when do we do this and leave the offspring's psyche intact? Till it hit me ... Ah ha in India!! No one will even notice... and so her 2nd birthday past and we were going to India in Oct when I dropped the bomb on hubby dearest...Wow did the shit hit the fans and stink up the house (to be fair I can't blame him for this one no matter how hard I try to find a reason)... After the cooling down happened... he pointed out to me very reasonably (with a little gnashing of the teeth) that India was the WORST idea!!! Everybody would want to know when, why, where,, who did it... did we do it at home or in the temple? And so we were going to do it here and take the grisly offering back to India (lucky for me I had worked this very situation into the deal with lovely God and had only arranged for hair offering.... I love that Hinduism has no hell... hmm, is being born as an earthworm really any better?) And so dear reader, the deed has been done. Unfortunately subject to an extremely foolish mom, my dear firstborn walks around with a shaved head (NO! No pics) complaining that she doesn't like her haircut. It will upset her for a couple more days, but I am more upset than anyone else. My daughter for the very first time in her life has no hair on her head! I have to cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

Inkk said…
aiyyyyoooooooooo.....why re?? sorry, but will make u feel little bad about this :(( where will little white flower go now :( ?

and yes, hairy pic might do a bit to redeem conscience and all..but still :(

lol :)) having said that, all a matter of time...and will grow back soon and all that (hmph,this line is just for my conscience for digging the nail deep in, dont take too much comfort from it and all)
sreeram said…
heyy - poor D-poo!!! we should skype sometime before you leave so i get a sneak preview!!

Don't crucify yourself too much!!!

one of your best blogs yet...
Anonymous said…
P's hair used to grow so fast that we had to give him a haircut every now and then. And he wasn't as well endowed as D . Amma was forever worried that he'd taken after my dad! Anyway when he turned one it was time for a haircut and we were faithfully keeping all the "offerings" in various plastic bags /paper enevlopes and i finally just decided that i had enough of hair in various bags popping out at me anytime i searched for something that i told arv we'll finish off with his mottai. Amma happened to be there with us and i figured she can take this final offering and we'll rid of Hair at home all over the place at last! Well this is turning out to be a post so its okay don't feel guilty i am sure she looks cute as ever how could she look anything else.

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

So D-Poo has started at another daycare... all supposed pluses... at the university with hopefully like-minded people...very close to me... dubious advantage, I get to do drop-off and pick-up.. but on the other hand it may build closeness...or else I will damage her psyche forever by throwing out her favourite very annoying CD from the car...She's been very happy though and considerably less dirty at the end of the day which leaves me wondering why I didn't move her sooner... The visit to India of course has passed from her mind except for some ladder-climbing incidents and other random recollections of P-Boy cousin. But some effects we still fondly hope are true and long-lasting... like her attempts to insert more Tamil words into her vocabulary (she mostly sounds like a echo whe we speak but I'll take anything)...I fancy that her tolerance of spicy food has increased (false but I'm a deluded mom...gimme a break here...)...She still has no concept of tradition as I wou

To work or not to work

Well this blog is developing as a "mommy" blog as a certain reader commented and somehow I am not able to stem the flow... It's just easy to write about stuff that occupies your mind everyday than to worry about Lebanon (Altho' I have to admit, I am particularly touched by this conflict given that Mid Eastern conflicts have been going on for the best part of my lifetime...) I was reading a blog entry by Rashmi Bansal (Yes sissy, I use sites you've listed and like most of them)... Made for interesting reading on the matrimonial ads in newspapers...Now I have long perused these very ads and found them in varying degrees funny, tolerable and downright abominable...I read her rather funny account of all the various types of women listed by type and degree of wanting to work after marriage... Unfortunately there isn't any real manual to predict what we're going to be in life and the baby curveball is truly something unexpected. Me for example: Those who knew me

Get off my breast!!

No, it isn't a continuation of the theme that darling Sissy started ... it's just a response to an article I read on CNN... and ad nauseam on every parenting site, health site, news site, TV ... the list goes on. The current objects of my fury are called apparently "lactivists"... an "empowering" term for annoying people who like to shove their superiority as breast-feeding mothers in everyone's face!!! No, I'm all for it... if you can do it go for it... it's functional, free and most sanitary and billions of people have flourished doing the thing... most intelligent cultures (which automatically excludes all white, caucasian cultures) have recognized this for eons and it's just fine. These sensible cultures aso have had the benefit of being poor and recognize that a full belly is the prerequisite and not what an aging hyper protective mother thinks is a baby's birthright!!!! So what evolved was a commonsense approach to feeding a child..