Skip to main content

Wal-mart mentality...

I was reading an article in the NYtimes (yes...despite my conservative attitudes, I am a liberal at heart) and this article caught my attention

Basically the idea is that when you're supposed to economize you o to "budget" stores and end up spending way more than you planned while saving that 3c/can of chick peas...because you bought 7 cans of them when you needed just one. And then the 5 bags of chips and the 13 cases of washing liquid and 5kgs of tomatoes (which are rotten at the end of 1kg/two weeks) ad nauseam...literally. So what happens is all these penny pinchers are truly pound foolish resulting in a system of people who think ooking at th price of cauliflower in a shop is actually a good thing. Unless the price difference is like 100X it's truly not worth it. Europe, especially Switzerland, is liberating!! Everything is expensive and so when you have the chance don't buy it. And when you buy it you cna only afford a little and are loth to waste any. So all in all, less mess, smaller bill (or the same except you'll use all that you bought) and you feel good about living richly! Go Europe!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get off my breast!!

No, it isn't a continuation of the theme that darling Sissy started ... it's just a response to an article I read on CNN... and ad nauseam on every parenting site, health site, news site, TV ... the list goes on. The current objects of my fury are called apparently "lactivists"... an "empowering" term for annoying people who like to shove their superiority as breast-feeding mothers in everyone's face!!! No, I'm all for it... if you can do it go for it... it's functional, free and most sanitary and billions of people have flourished doing the thing... most intelligent cultures (which automatically excludes all white, caucasian cultures) have recognized this for eons and it's just fine. These sensible cultures aso have had the benefit of being poor and recognize that a full belly is the prerequisite and not what an aging hyper protective mother thinks is a baby's birthright!!!! So what evolved was a commonsense approach to feeding a child.....

New Beginnings

So D-Poo has started at another daycare... all supposed pluses... at the university with hopefully like-minded people...very close to me... dubious advantage, I get to do drop-off and pick-up.. but on the other hand it may build closeness...or else I will damage her psyche forever by throwing out her favourite very annoying CD from the car...She's been very happy though and considerably less dirty at the end of the day which leaves me wondering why I didn't move her sooner... The visit to India of course has passed from her mind except for some ladder-climbing incidents and other random recollections of P-Boy cousin. But some effects we still fondly hope are true and long-lasting... like her attempts to insert more Tamil words into her vocabulary (she mostly sounds like a echo whe we speak but I'll take anything)...I fancy that her tolerance of spicy food has increased (false but I'm a deluded mom...gimme a break here...)...She still has no concept of tradition as I wou...

On hiatus and back

Wagging Away It's been a while since I wrote in my blog... since then, Warren Buffett couldn't bear being second-best and in a grand show two billionaires are betting that philanthropy is the next big thing... I love it... Wish there were more billionaires who felt that "dynastic wealth" is a terrible thing and that rich people's kids should have enough money to do anything but not enough to do nothing... beautiful sentiment if ever there was one!!! Billionaires apart...my audience of one (ahem! you know who you are) has put forth a suggestion: a weekly update on charming antics of a baby soon to be human being!!! And of course since he calls her "poo" this series is entitled "The adventures of D- Poo!!" The protagonist will do nothing from morn till night except wreak general havoc, be cute when you're ready to wring her neck and generally be a normal 2-year-old although in my fond moments I have her conducting the London Philharmonic... I...