Skip to main content

Random Thoughts

Random Thoughts
I am so missing home... home is India (for those who didn't quite figure that one out from the immigration rant!) ... Somehow 8 years into living in the US surrounded for the most part by people who are understanding, can point to India on a world map and intelligent, I still feel very alien... Just want the morning sounds back, the milkman dropping off the bags at your door, amma saying her prayers in the morning, cycles ringing their bells, smoke-belching buses roaring past the house, vegetable vendors hawking their fresh wares, kids running to catch the morning school bus!!... and the smells of coffee, milk, food cooking for breakfast and for lunch boxes, garbage bins overflowing (okay so I don't really miss that one too much), agarbathi lit up ...hmmmmmmmm
I think I had a pretty decent life back home, affluent but not filthy rich with a certain groundedness that comes of travelling in full buses and hanging out the door by one hand and praying you reach safely befoe your arm gives way. It makes it much harder to live here without family and social structure where you don't have to watch how you behave everytime, the only people who understand it ar epeople you pretend you don't want to associate too closely with... the FOB experience (fresh off the boat for the uninitiated) oh well better not get too teary I have a job to do... Good morning America!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get off my breast!!

No, it isn't a continuation of the theme that darling Sissy started ... it's just a response to an article I read on CNN... and ad nauseam on every parenting site, health site, news site, TV ... the list goes on. The current objects of my fury are called apparently "lactivists"... an "empowering" term for annoying people who like to shove their superiority as breast-feeding mothers in everyone's face!!! No, I'm all for it... if you can do it go for it... it's functional, free and most sanitary and billions of people have flourished doing the thing... most intelligent cultures (which automatically excludes all white, caucasian cultures) have recognized this for eons and it's just fine. These sensible cultures aso have had the benefit of being poor and recognize that a full belly is the prerequisite and not what an aging hyper protective mother thinks is a baby's birthright!!!! So what evolved was a commonsense approach to feeding a child.....

New Beginnings

So D-Poo has started at another daycare... all supposed pluses... at the university with hopefully like-minded people...very close to me... dubious advantage, I get to do drop-off and pick-up.. but on the other hand it may build closeness...or else I will damage her psyche forever by throwing out her favourite very annoying CD from the car...She's been very happy though and considerably less dirty at the end of the day which leaves me wondering why I didn't move her sooner... The visit to India of course has passed from her mind except for some ladder-climbing incidents and other random recollections of P-Boy cousin. But some effects we still fondly hope are true and long-lasting... like her attempts to insert more Tamil words into her vocabulary (she mostly sounds like a echo whe we speak but I'll take anything)...I fancy that her tolerance of spicy food has increased (false but I'm a deluded mom...gimme a break here...)...She still has no concept of tradition as I wou...

On hiatus and back

Wagging Away It's been a while since I wrote in my blog... since then, Warren Buffett couldn't bear being second-best and in a grand show two billionaires are betting that philanthropy is the next big thing... I love it... Wish there were more billionaires who felt that "dynastic wealth" is a terrible thing and that rich people's kids should have enough money to do anything but not enough to do nothing... beautiful sentiment if ever there was one!!! Billionaires apart...my audience of one (ahem! you know who you are) has put forth a suggestion: a weekly update on charming antics of a baby soon to be human being!!! And of course since he calls her "poo" this series is entitled "The adventures of D- Poo!!" The protagonist will do nothing from morn till night except wreak general havoc, be cute when you're ready to wring her neck and generally be a normal 2-year-old although in my fond moments I have her conducting the London Philharmonic... I...